Monday, May 7, 2012

My Dog Oly...

Well, it's been an interesting week--let's start with the good news.  Walking is now my main mode of transport, my balance is improving which makes it easier to control where I want to go.  I had a follow-up appointment with the Orthopedic Specialist, Dr. Segal.  He said my gate looks great, a typical "toddler gate" but no sign that my CP will be noticeable when I walk.  He is a little concerned with my right foot, it's very inverted, so I have to get an arch put in my shoe by a Cobbler.  We told him we were against bracing, which he said he understood, so we are doing special stretches. 

Serendipitously, my old Physical Therapist quit to work with elderly folks, so I am back with Gail and her therapy dog Jaggar.  Gail was my PT for the first six months we were in Phoenix, but hasn't seen me since I was 11 months old.  She was extremely surprised by my progress, but mostly my personality.  I have a hard time focusing on the obstacle course she sets up for me each week because I want to play with Jaggar.  I get right in his face, bend down, and say "Hi" in a high pitched voice.  He gives me kisses and lets me yank on his tail. 

Speaking of dogs, last week was rough for my dog Oly.  On Monday Mom noticed that Oly had an abscess in his mouth by one of his teeth.  We took him to the vet that day and they had him scheduled for emergency surgery on Tuesday morning.  Dr. White was fairly certain it was a cancerous tumor, but he couldn't be sure until Oly was under the knife.  We had to leave Oly with Dr. White all day on Tuesday and Mom was a wreck, I tell you, a complete wreck.  Then after we got him home and he was in pain and groggy from the anesthetic, all she did was cry.  To be honest, it freaked me out.  The pathology report came back on Friday--no cancer, it was a rapidly growing cyst.  So the good news is no cancer, the bad news is that the cyst is already back and growing.  Mom needs to lock it up before we take Oly back to the vet this week.  I guess my parents love Oly as much as I do, so we'll get a course of treatment worked out soon.

My favorite thing to do, besides vacuum, is walk Oly inside our house.  He's a good sport!



I have been spending a lot of time outside, this weekend I helped Dad dig up some sprinkler heads!

   Have a great week!

No comments: