Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Week We Have All Been Waiting For...

Well, it's official, I'm a walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As you can tell, I am excited, my parents are relieved, and frankly it's my biggest milestone yet.  On Wednesday, before we went to my NACD Evaluation with Mr. Doman my record for unassisted steps was 12, when we got home that afternoon I bumped it up to 25, the next morning it was 40, then Mom stopped counting because I went the entire length of the backyard.  We decided to "count" this as walking since it was a pretty long way and on an uneven surface.  I am getting better with each day...as of this morning I am able to turn on my own, walk around corners, and most of the time I am able to stop effectively.  Give me a month and I should be walking everywhere. 

P.S.  My Mom posted this on Facebook and everyone has asked if I hurt myself at the end...the answer is no, I popped right back up, no crying.  I'm not a wussy for heaven's sake!


Also, since learning to walk, I have decided maybe climbing would be fun...look where my Dad found me this weekend!

As for my NACD Evaluation, Mr. Doman was very pleased with my progress.  My mobility is great, I can stand on my own in the middle of the floor (which isn't typical for someone with my walking ability), my central vision has gotten better, and my receptive language is off the charts.  Of course, I still have things to work on...Mr. Doman said that once I become an "automatic walker" my expressive language (speech) will explode.  Expressive language is a motor function, because I am concentrating on walking (also a motor function) everything else is taking a back seat.  However, he's not concerned because receptive language (what I understand) is the actual test of cognition and he says I am "plenty smart."  I also feel really lucky because Mr. Doman said kids with brain injuries like mine typically have seizures, many times triggered by teething because it's such a bad irritant to the brain.  I hate teething, but I haven't had any seizures, Mom said she'll never complain about the sleepless nights again...and neither will I!  I got a revised program, some old exercises, some new, but the one thing they want me to concentrate on above all else is walking.  Yeah!!  I actually like walking :) 

My Mom went to Montana this past weekend from my Aunt Erika's Bridal Shower, so we had a boys' weekend.  I thoroughly enjoy weekends with just my Dad and Oly...we do such cool things, like go on hikes and swim at the pool. 

Here we go!  I love that Dad does all the work!

We had to take a break because it was hot...here I am standing guard, making sure
Oly doesn't escape :)

Well, I better run, Grandma Jane is here for the rest of the month since Dad is traveling so much and I'm sure she's going to spoil me some more today.  Thanks for all of your support up to this point, walking is the coolest thing that I have ever done, and I couldn't have accomplished so much without my support network!


3 comments:

Betsey said...

OMG, Vinny, you are part of the absolute coolest family in the world. I just love you people, so much. Thank you for letting us in on this. You are my idol, Vinny. I'm gonna be like you. I'm never going to give up on what I want. You rock, dude. What a fabulous day!!!!!!!!! I knew it - you and your mom and dad can do anything :)

Troy said...

VINNY YOU ROCK MY WORLD and INSPIRE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

HI! HO! VINNY O! WE ARE SO PR0UD OF YOU! ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK HAS PAID OFF, AND YOU ARE WALKING--WAY TO GO! THE NEXT TIME WE SEE YOU, YOU WILL PROBABLY "RUNNING"--LIKE DOWN THE ISLE AT AUNT ERIKA'S WEDDING......GOOD LUCK MOM AND DAD WITH THE WALK DOWN THE ISLE SHOW!!!! LOVE TO ALL. TESS & TOM